Monday, October 13, 2008

The Dark Day. (remember yesterdays post)

Hello, and happy Monday.  Hello, Amelia, Emma, Libby and any new reader. My days been pretty good. I almost posted during advisory but I had to go the bathroom and ran out of time. So yeah that didn't happen. we finished a supposedly sad movie in Language Arts called The Long Walk Home. A lot of people have said it was very sad. Maybe I just have no emotion but I didn't think there was anything particularly sad about it but who knows.

So  besides that a new PotterCast came out. I walked home, which completely drained my energy. I spent the rest of the time hanging out doing homework. I have a load of homework because I have to make up work that all the students will miss while taking the standardized test we enjoy this week. 

These tests do nothing for anyone. It doesn't show what parts of things people need to improve on, just the subject. Also it cause teachers to teach for the tests or lose funding instead of improving on actual skills. So literally the first four weeks of school were spent doing test preparation instead of learning. It is just lame. I think my science teacher told us last year that if  the whole grade didn't get 100% in the Science test, then the school's science program would lose a load of funding. No pressure though. At least if you do well though, you can get money for college tuition, which could be helpful later.

Well now for the link of the day...... your choice!!!! ----> ? or ? <----

Question of the Day!!!   What would be a good way, besides tests to judge how well schools are doing?

Rianna

Answers to Last Week: Me: Benjamin Franklin, others have said Gandhi, Susan B. Anthony, and George Harrison, or Miles Davis. Actually maybe I would choose Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Wow, those names are similar. Aww... well. Sorry, this came out so late.

2 comments:

Amelia said...

Hello Rianna. That's good school is going ok. Yay new pottercast. Though, I confess, I actually have not listened to one yet. But I need to!!
Yeah MEAPs are STUPID. They grade stupid, they are a waste of time, too much stress and are just stupid. Exactly. It's really a catch-22, because the schools with bad test scores will keep losing money, so they can't improve. I mean, what the heck?? Even us kids see the stupidity. And it's OUR education. But yeah good luck with those. And have fun.

Oooh Taco Night! Nice. Well, as to your QotD, that one's pretty tough actually. But I think that if one is inspired and interested, rather than just doing it for a "good grade", then they will learn. They have to be open. Well, ok, I answered a different question. To see how schools are doing, they should interview students and staff maybe, and maybe even check out how a few classes go. Because seriously, tests are stupid. Well, at least grades are anyway.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Rianna. I really like your blog, and I agree with you about all the tests. They really get in the way of learning, don't they?

I have also been wanting to thank you for being such a faithful friend to Amelia while she's here in France, and reading her blog so faithfully. It has meant a lot to her, and therefore to me! I know it has been very hard for her to be here, away from her friends, and kept her company all this time with all your comments. So thanks! You really know how to be a good friend to people--one of the most important life skills of all. I always tell my kids that the way to be rich in life is to have just enough money, and mostly, have a lot of good friends.

warmly,
Madeline (Amelia's Mom)