Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Dow Jones Industrial Drops .02923%

Well along with that ramblings of last post I've decided to post some of the ramblings I have scribbled into my school notebooks.

This was written in Language Arts over a period of a few day. (sort of explains the weird breaks that don't make sense)

Do you ever wonder if some of your teachers don't care at all about your education? That they'd be temporarily satisfied by just seeing your pencil on some paper and kept quiet as to not disturb their monotonous life. An A+ student can do all their work and never understand a thing. Sitting in class listening to the drones or a teacher about something that will never affect the students later in life, worksheet after worksheet, what is the purpose? What is the goal?

Around the country people are pondering what must be done to fix our education system. I would suggest that all that needs to be done is make sure the current teachers are actually doing the one thing that makes a class much more bearable. The teacher must be able to realize that they are occasionally wrong and that it's not always the stupidity of their students. We're right too sometimes! Perhaps the whole class doesn't understand it, not because they weren't paying attention but because you were teaching it badly. Just because you're a teacher it doesn't mean that you are not always in the right and we (students) aren't always in the wrong. Creativity would help.

Teaching by the book isn't always horrible but it is when teachers refuse to face the fact that the book is wrong. Is this because they are so uneducated on the topic they are teaching or just to stubborn to recognize that they and their precious book might be wrong? The agitating thing is that most of these mistakes are painfully clear. I Have A Dream is not a persuasive speech. Try, o' holy student teacher, to convince me but I am not going to be convinced.

Not to be off topic (tsk, MyAccess would not grade this) but the length of this piece is sort of ironic. It's about the length now of the paper I'm supposed to be writing. I've written more persuasive essays than I think anyone would ever wish too and am choosing to ignore the new one I've been assigned. Leaves me wondering every time though why the Michigan public school system cares so much about persuasive writing. To a point I can understand why it could be helpful to be able to persuade people but then I just find it driven so toughly into my brain that it's uncomfortable. It'll be quite scary in a few years when we super literally persuasive people hit the workforce. We've been taught that we can get anything if we write well enough but this simply isn't true.

Why do teachers and schools make life so hard for themselves? Why can't teachers teach their students instead of allowing their student teachers to do all the teaching (while they the teacher pick up the paycheck). I have almost given up on this education system (not that I can do anything about this). How frustrating it can be to retain opinions and ideas when such a load of crap is dumped on us every single day. To watch SRI scores drop every year and to sense myself hating the education part of school more and more is just painful. It doesn't have to be like this!

Sometimes it's tempting to attempt to turn into a boring zombie that just goes along with everything my teachers throw at me, as to just push the internal struggle I feel sometimes away. The human spirit doesn't exactly work like that though. It holds it's opinions strong and close (as not to be affected by persuasion, yeah I'm bitter). 

Schools seem to be intent on transforming us. Changing out values and crushing our souls (maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration). Shaping up for the rest of our lives (my conspiracy theory for a lifetime). The power of our "educators" can be easily used for nothing but with an effort can really make a positive difference. A good teacher can inspire a student to be the best person they could ever aspire to. I've had one or two of these teachers but they tend to be rare (cough, cough, Mr. Fuller, cough) but this year I'm feeling pretty unsatisfied. It's so frustrating spending hours each week being stuffed with information that doesn't hold any value. 

Frustratedly, Rianna

Well that is what I wrote. To make it clear I don't hate school, it's just the insanity of it. Well, that was quite exhausting. 

Adios!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few comments:
The "I Have A dream" speech is actually persuasive, but not a clearly defined persuasive essay.
I would disagree with the point that if the whole class isn't getting something, the teacher should be responsible. Even great teachers can have classes that refuse to do what they ask. It's not about the all about the skill of the teacher, the students must put in effort in order to learn.
if a teacher takes on a student teacher, the student teacher must teach a portion of the class.
SRI scores aren't dropping, they are staying the same, when they should be improving.
School matters. You need it to be able to get the job you want, no matter if what you are actually learning pertains to it. You must do well to go to college. Yes, it's boring, and sometimes it shouldn't be. However, sometimes boring is the way things are. Things need to be drilled to get implanted.
I do believe that is it. Excellent essay.

Rianna said...

As Anonymous pointed out a few points to clarify. I wrote this out of frustration that my language arts teacher has taught three days this year and allowed her two student teachers to do all the work. Not all SRI scores are dropping, just mine. I know school is important I'm just frustrated with the fact that teachers don't seem to care or even try to be creative at times. I'm sort of tired of the bureaucracy of the education system. Community High is just looking better and better every day.

Amelia said...

Well ok.

School is... I agree with you on most parts; they're always talking about how bla bla bla this'll help you for college, life and all. I agree with Anonymous on most things, I guess. The thing that I'm rather annoying with (and I think Rianna too) is the redundancy. I mean, and also the teachers want us to be so into the lesson and learning and info, but then here they are being irresponsible and... un-educational. YES teachers are humans as well, but it's just a little.. unbalanced? Or at least it feels that way. I think if the material was revised better and actually presented in a form that was interesting, that would help.

Back to the redundancy, it's just a little... I dunno the right word, but... daunting? unnecessary? intimidating? boring? when they always say, "oh; elementary school is to prepare you for middle school, middle school is for high school, and then high school is for college." Normally they just stop right there. What about.. life? What about... yourself? What about doing what YOU want to do?

I actually somewhat disagree on the "useless information" part. I think it's safe to say that when people are more open to new info, it's easier to learn. I normally think of school and such this way: that it's just sort of feeding us, allowing us, presenting us new information for our brains. What's wrong with that? You live in a world, you're a citizen of the Earth, what's the problem learning just some more things about your surroundings and where you are? How do you know it won't help you?

Frankly, inspiration is the key here, I think. I always got annoyed when the teachers would get mad at certain kids for not writing certain things or whatever- maybe they should don't want to do that stuff, maybe that's not them.

I still rather liked it, Rianna. As I said, "those rhetorical questions crunch like fresh September apples, while the apple gook is flung at the accused."